We live in an era where information can be accessed with just a few taps on the keyboard and can be shared to anyone worldwide in split seconds. Although this is beneficial to a lot of people and organizations, this poses a risk as well such as when sensitive data are accessed and transmitted by unscrupulous individuals.
This is the reason why it is important that one must learn how to protect his or her home or office data. The following are some tips on how one can keep their information safe:
- Use updated antivirus, anti-malware and anti-spyware programs.
- Make your passwords strong by using a combination of numbers, symbols and characters; be sure to change them regularly.
- Secure your paper files and documents, external hard-drives, computers and other data in a secured room or a locked cabinet.
- Avoid opening your personal and office email address accounts, doing online banking and accessing your secure data over free wireless and other not secure connections.
- Shred paper documents that are no longer needed and use software that will permanently delete your data prior to disposing old computers.
- If your company or organization has protocols on how to access information outside the office, make sure that you follow these procedures. Failure to do so will compromise the security of the data of your organization.
Do you also have some tips on how to protect your home or office data? Please do share them in the comments section below.