Launching your online communications without carrying out a robust analytics methodology ensures that you cannot effectively manage your ROI.
That’s because you cannot manage what you do not measure.
But, as simple as managing and measuring data seems to be, it is a complex process that is riddled with potential pitfalls.
Like all marketing channels, social media and video marketing benefits from continual analysis and improvement.
To ensure that you participate in meaningful and effective social media measurement when launching your video content, use the following steps in your data collection and data management process.
Determine your KPI’s (Key Performance Indicators)
After you know which goals you want to pursue, it is important to calculate the particular data you need in order to promote sales enablement and track and measure your objectives effectively.
Typically, the most successful measurement campaigns track consumer data points that can be easily measured and captured. The four most important consumer behavioral demographics that you should be tracking include the following: awareness, consumer loyalty, online content interactions and social media mentions.
- Awareness – Measure awareness by tracking the number URL and brand mentions made online.
- Consumer Loyalty – Track Facebook interactions and the number of fans, video landing page visits, video replays and Twitter click-throughs.
- Online Content Interactions – Measure website page views, bounce rates, social network link click-throughs and video plays.
- Social Media Mentions – Track the number of comments on your video landing pages, integration of your videos on influencers, editors and reporter’s blogs, and the total number of retweets and Facebook likes.
How to develop your own social media and online video measurement programs
- Measure your key performance indicators. Use a social media publishing and video platform that has analytics and tracking capabilities to capture your data. When measuring important data consider using a weighting factor to determine whether some data attributes are more important and valuable than others.
- Collect your data points monthly or weekly. What matters most in data measurement and analysis is not the daily numbers. The most important information is gathered over weeks and months. Seasonal fluctuations are expected when measuring data, so it is important to track the information that you get over a long period of time. When you are looking for winning results, check for a minimum of 10 percent or more increase in your KPI’s over a three to six month period.
- Graph your KPI data findings into your monthly/weekly report. To analyze the data properly, you should graph your measurement areas — awareness, consumer loyalty, online content interactions and social media mentions – across one report. This report gives you an overview of how your demographic behavior shifts monthly or weekly.
- End your report with a list of important actions. To make sure that your video and social media marketing programs improve, create a list of three to six actions items to implement. These items should focus on the most important goals that will help to improve your company’s bottom line.
About the author:
Sarah Trell is a writer and blogger and likes to report on subjects where life meets business. Follow her @prointernmedia