Businesses have many reasons for reducing waste in the office, one of which is the fact that waste is a sign of inefficiency. Another reason is consumers often regard highly the companies that reduce waste and recycle. While the list of reasons continues, the best one of course is the fact that it reducing waste conserves energy and is earth-friendly.
Here are some of the ways of waste prevention and recycling in the office:
- Print only when needed. If you can keep computer files, instead of paper files, this would reduce your paper consumption. Take advantage of electronic calendars, sticky notes, planners, and other computer software that can help eliminate your need writing down or printing on those papers.
- Reuse envelopes. If your business performs a lot of mailing, you can use mailing labels to cover the old addresses. You can just print a message at the back or bottom of the envelope to explain that you recycle envelopes to help save trees.
- Buy recycled toner cartridges for your printers.
- Recycle glass, metal cans, paper, and plastic. Make sure that the recycling bins are labeled and the staffs are aware of the recycling program.
- Phone books or yellow pages directories can be sent to recycling vendors. Some may even pick up your recyclables for free.
- Provide washable cups, dishes and utensils in your break room and steer away from plastic ones.
- Invest in waste balers, compactors and recycling equipment if your company can afford it. Companies such as QCR can even provide weekly rental services for these equipment if you need them.